Midwest Dance Center provides an in-house apprentice program for students who are interested in becoming dance teachers. Students will work side by side with a tenured teacher. In addition, students will be assigned to a class(es) that is appropriate for their age, ability, and level of experience. Students will be selected after all apprentice program applications have been reviewed. Our program runs from September to June. This internship program is free of charge to those who meet our guidelines.
Classroom Assistants: Students entering Conservatory A or higher in the fall may apply to be a classroom assistant. They will demonstrate steps, help keep an organized classroom, assist the teacher in tasks, and more! Being a classroom assistant is a great place to start!
Student Teachers: (See requirements below) Student teachers will take on a larger role in the classroom. They will be mentored by the MDC staff to learn "how to teach". Student teachers will have the opportunity to demonstrate, will learn the order of the class, and will assist the teacher in instruction.
Classroom Assistant: Student is entering Conservatory A or higher
Student Teacher: Student is entering Conservatory A or higher AND 8th Grade or higher, has a minimum of 1 year experience as a classroom assistant.
- Students have danced a minimum of 1 year at Midwest Dance Center
- Student takes at least 4 hours of class a week. (Ballet is a prerequisite).
- Student is responsible and will call/e-mail director 24 hours in advance if they will be absent. Students are expected to treat this position like a job.
- Student arrives on-time to class (15 minutes prior)
- Student dresses in the appropriate attire to help instruct class. Studio dress code is followed while assisting/taking class.
- While in school, in public, or at the dance studio student is expected to be responsible and respectful representatives of our school.
- Student is a positive role model
- Student enjoys working with children.
- Student must respond positively to teacher evaluations and constructive criticism during their tenure in the program.
*Student teachers who miss more than 3 assigned student teacher classes and do not follow Student Teacher guidelines will be immediately dismissed from the program. (Exceptions for required school functions will be made with 7 days notice.)
Why Student Teach?
- Gain leadership experience
- Earn community service hours for your resume/college applications
- Gain valuable teaching skills from your mentor, which in-turn will help you become a better dancer.
- Share your love of dance with others
- Give back to your community in a positive way
- Earn a position as a dance teacher in the future
ALL APPLICATIONS WILL BE REVIEWED AND CLASSES WILL BE ASSIGNED ON A FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED BASIS. STUDENTS WITH AT LEAST ONE YEAR CLASSROOM ASSISTANT OR STUDENT TEACHER EXPERIENCE MAY BEGIN IMMEDIATELY. STUDENTS NEW TO THIS PROGRAM WILL BEGIN ASSISTING SEPTEMBER 20TH AFTER COMPLETION OF THE VIRTUAL TRAINING ON SEPT 18.
CLASSROOM ASSISTANTS AND STUDENT TEACHERS MUST BE AVAILABLE FOR TWO VIRTUAL TRAININGS:
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 18, 10-11AM & SATURDAY, JANUARY 15, 1:30-2:30PM